Monday, August 4, 2008

Bungalow Banana Bread

My husband was very skeptical about the Black-and-White Banana Loaf for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie project. "Banana and chocolate? Ugh!" was the gist of his remarks. So I agreed to make another loaf as well, of our favorite banana bread.


It is a slightly adapted version of the Hana-Banana Nut Loaf from Bernard Clayton's "New Complete Book of Breads." A wonderful book, by the way! I highly recommend it. You can take a look at the original recipe here.

I love this recipe because it has so much banana, and not too much butter or sugar.

Bungalow Banana Bread
by Bungalow Barbara, slightly adapted from Hana-Banana Loaf in Bernard Clayton's "New Complete Book of Breads."
Makes one loaf.

1 c. all-purpose flour (5.0 oz. / 142 g)
1/2 c. whole wheat flour (2.7 oz / 76 g)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
optional: 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon or a pinch of ground nutmeg
6 Tbsp. butter, room temperature (3 oz / 85 g)
1/3 c. light brown sugar (2.55 oz / 72 g) or granulated sugar (2.33 oz / 66 g)
2 eggs, room temperature (3.53 oz / 100 g)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. mashed bananas (about 13.2 oz / 375 g; about 3 to 4 bananas)
note: if you are a little short on mashed bananas, make up the difference with sour cream, yogurt, or milk.
1 c. coarsely broken or chopped walnuts (4 oz. / 113 g)

Grease an 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan. Line pan with buttered wax paper or parchment paper.

Set rack to middle of oven. Preheat to 350 degrees F.

In bowl, stir together white flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and optional cinnamon or nutmeg.

In another bowl, cream butter & sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla, then banana puree.

Stir dry mixture into egg mixture in two additions, mixing gently just until incorporated. Stir in nuts gently, just until incorporated. When adding flour & nuts, stir only to blend ingredients thoroughly and moisten the flour. Don’t overmix or bread will be tough.

Pour and spoon into prepared pan. Level with spatula. Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until dark brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool on in pan on wire rack for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan & cool before cutting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love banana loaf/cake so I shall give this one a go, thank you for putting weights in as well as American measures! As you can guess, I expect, I am more used to weights in the UK than using cup measurements but i do have a set of US cup measures, very useful when using recipes from Dorie's book as she doesn't print weights!
One of the first recipes I made from her book was the choc. banana bread and I must admit I have written at the side of it not to make it again!!!! Not one of my favourites although most others I have made have become favourites. Jeannette

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

This looks great Barbara! I will have to give it a try, and thank you for the book recomendation, can't get enough bread books :) My husband also is not a fan of banana bread with chocolate, to him it ruins it.

Sandie said...

This banana bread looks great, I'll have to give it a try

Nancy/n.o.e said...

OK, so I'm going to have to go compare this recipe with our favorite banana bread, which also has a bunch of whole wheat flour. Yours looks delish.
I received a lovely blog award from Matt, and want to pass it to you. Come by my blog to claim it! You can pass it along, or just accept it as a compliment...
Nancy