Thursday, January 8, 2009

TWD catch-up #3: Buttery Jam Cookies

For the third and final installment in our "Tuesdays with Dorie" cookie streak -- here are the Buttery Jam Cookies, chosen by Heather of Randomosity and the Girl as our recipe for December 16th. Now, I've heard of cookies with jam fillings, like Linzer cookies, thumbprints, and even rugelach...but cookies with jam mixed right into the batter? Interesting....


My Christmas cookie assortment already included cookies with apricot jam (rugelach) and cookies with ginger (lemon-ginger biscotti), but the apricot jam / ginger combination Dorie suggests sounded so delicious I just had to make it anyway. I increased the jam to about 5 Tablespoons, and reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup. To boost the apricot flavor, I added 2 ounces of chopped moist dried apricots.

After refrigerating overnight, I formed the cookies with a small portion scoop, rolled them in granulated sugar, and flattened them out with my hand. They spread only a small amount when baking, and ended up very soft and puffy. These cookies are great when still warm!

After they cooled down, I didn't think I liked them as much. The flavor was kind of subtle. But then I discovered I was going back for another one...and another... Watch out for these cookies, they sneak up on you! They are soft, almost like a rich scone, and great for nibbling. A few seconds in the microwave will warm them up nicely.

I ended up making another batch! The second time, I added even more jam (6 tablespoons) and chopped dried apricots (3 ounces), reduced the sugar to 1/3 cup, and increased the ground ginger to 3/4 teaspoon. Yum! Just about perfect! Maybe some some coarsely chopped almonds on top would be nice for next time...

These cookies need a strong-flavored, fairly tart jam. I would love to try orange or lime or ginger marmalade--perhaps with some candied peel or ginger added in. I have a feeling that these cookies are going to become a favorite at our house! They're easy, tasty and just a little different.

For the recipe, see this link.

4 comments:

natalia said...

Barbara !m I'm gld you are back ! seeing you beautiful cookies I can understand why you took some time: they are gorgeous !!

Di said...

I agree that these need a strong flavored jam. I used raspberry butter in mine. I made them chocolate as well, so I think I should have added more jam than I did. I found that I couldn't taste the raspberry very much when they were still warm, but the flavor was much stronger the second day.

Jules Someone said...

So glad to see you back! I was a little worried. Anyway, nice cookies. I thought they needed a little boost as well. Thanks for the tips!

Jacque said...

I agree, these cookies sneak up on you. I you think you're not crazy about them, but then before you know it, they're all gone!

Your additions sound like they really took this cookie over the top. Nice job!