Tuesday, February 3, 2009

TWD: World Peace Cookies

This week, the "Tuesdays with Dorie" crowd made the world-famous "World Peace Cookies." Thanks so much to Jessica of cookbookhabit for choosing this recipe! Head on over to her blog for the recipe -- you can also find it here, here, or here (scroll down to the bottom).


This is a simple but wonderful cookie -- a French sablé (or shortbread cookie) with the addition of cocoa, chopped chocolate and flakes of sea salt. They're easy to make, easy to form (roll up, freeze, slice-and-bake) and fabulous to eat!

Now, I actually made the dough for these cookies back before Christmas, and then never got around to baking it up. (The dough keeps well in the freezer!) So I don't remember all the details of making them. I do recall that I weighed my flour and cocoa, using that 1 cup of flour = 4.8 oz and 1 cup of cocoa = 3.0 oz. But as to what chocolate and cocoa I used -- sorry, I can't recall. I know I wouldn't have gone for the "cheap stuff" with these fabulous cookies! For salt, I used French "sel gris" (the lower-budget version of French fleur de sel) that I'd picked up on sale. I do think using a flake salt rather than a finely ground salt adds a certain flair to these cookies.

I sliced 'em thick, as Dorie specifies, and that was perfect. They spread and flatten as they bake. And yes, trust Dorie when she says to take them out before they look done. Mine had cracked a bit and turned dull on the surface, but were still extremely soft. Once they cooled they were perfect!

Will these bring about world peace? Well, Jim and I have been feeling quite mellow since I baked these...but...we don't want to share them with anyone else! (So much for world peace, I guess...)

Take a look at all the other TWD bakers' blogs for more of these delicious cookies -- and don't forget to visit Dorie Greenspan's blog to see what the recipe author herself has to say!

12 comments:

Lillian said...

I firmly believe that these are the best cookies in the world.

Sabrina said...

Those look perfect! You did a wonderful job!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Lovely picture! :) Glad they turned out so well for you and I am glad to know they last so well in the freezer!

Unknown said...

Beautiful picture - what perfect little rounds! I just can't believe your dough survived so long in the freezer...I would have eaten it up by now...

Leslie said...

Boy do they look tasty! I like to say world peace starts at home, so you're on the right track!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

I weighed my flour as well, but used 5 oz/cup and the dough still came together fine. Your cookies look lovely and I am amazed the dough lasted in your freezer for as long as it did.

TeaLady said...

These look sooooo yummy!

Anonymous said...

Your thick cookies look wonderful! I will have to mix up a batch for the freezer.

Jessica said...

Your cookies look perfect! Thanks for the tip about the cutting the paper towel rolls in half! That's perfect! I agree, remembering to keep the roll rather than throwing it in the recycling bin will be the hardest part!

margot said...

Your cookies look wonderful, I'm glad you liked them. It's nice to know that they are still delicious after some time in the freezer.

dharmagirl said...

ha! i know what you mean about the sharing...it's hard to do with a cookie this delicious. i sent about 8 to my parents, which seemed a little stingy since they were so small...

AmyRuth said...

So glad you finally got to enjoy the cookies. Aren't freezers wonderful? All sorts of creativeness can come forth....he he. Way to go with the gingerbread too!
AmyRuth