Thursday, May 21, 2009

TWD: Fresh Mango Muffins

First, I apologize to all my "Tuesdays with Dorie" friends for all the late posts this month.


For this week, Kelly of Baking with the Boys chose the Fresh Mango Bread from Dorie Greenspan's wonderful book.

Somehow this recipe said "muffins" to me. And it made excellent muffins! I made a few changes -- substituting white whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the flour, reducing the white sugar to 3/4 cup, reducing the ground ginger to 1 teaspoon and the cinnamon to 1/4 teaspoon, adding 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander and a pinch of allspice, and adding the zest of an entire lime. The spice combination was great, just spicy enough but not overwhelming. Oh, I also chopped the golden raisins and soaked them in rum.

Dorie says that this will turn out more like a dough than a batter. Well, mine turned out more like a mess of crumbs than a dough! So I added in most of the juice of the lime, and that was just enough liquid to bring it together into a very thick batter. It was enough to make 23 muffins.

The muffins only took about 20 minutes to bake. They did have a bit of a tendency to stick to the pans, but I managed to get them out with only one serious casualty. (Hey, I needed to taste-test one anyway!)


After they cooled, I put them into a Tupperware container for storage and we had them for breakfast for several days thereafter. The muffins were very light, fluffy, and moist with excellent flavor. I did think they could use a bit more mango and maybe some other add-ins.

For next time, I would use more white whole wheat flour -- maybe 1 1/2 cups. I'd replace 1/4 cup of the oil with yogurt, decrease the white sugar to 1/2 cup, and increase the chopped mango to 2 1/2 or 3 cups. I wouldn't chop the raisins, and I'd add some coarsely chopped nuts.

Thanks to Kelly and Dorie for this recipe -- I'd never have thought of adding fresh mango to a quick bread or muffin, and it's great!

7 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I'd never think of adding fresh mangoes either. Nice write up!

Leslie said...

They look wonderful, Barbara! The changes you plan to make next time sound great.

Don't worry about being late! (says she who is very late posting Barefoot Bloggers!)

Audrey said...

Hi, Barbara...how cool that you work at LE! If I am ever willing to buy a bathing suit again, I will definitely buy one of yours. (Some of the new ones are gorgeous...very glamorous!)
Audrey

The Food Librarian said...

Barbara, these look great! And what a nice treat for breakfast!!!

natalia said...

Ciao Barbara ! I'm posting later than you !!My computer broke and finally it's back home ! Great muffins !

Engineer Baker said...

I really like what you did with this one - wish I had subbed yogurt in for some of the oil, they seemed oily to me as well. And raisins in rum? Fabulous!

karen said...

this is one of my favorite dorie recipes so far. next time i will try your yogurt idea, i didn't like using all the oil.