Wednesday, February 11, 2009

TWD: Sorry, no Floating Islands here

Sorry folks, I decided not to make this week's recipe for "Tuesdays with Dorie," the Floating Islands.

You see, my husband and I share a dislike of meringue. We both agree that it is way too sweet, doesn't taste like much of anything other than sugar, and is basically just boring. I must admit, the processes of making the meringue and the sauce and the caramel all sounded quite fascinating...but there was no-one around to eat the results! If I ever find a friend or family member who's a meringue fan, I may try this. And I really hope we have some other chance to make the creme anglaise sauce...

I'll be posting a rewind of the Tall and Creamy Cheesecake very soon, and can't wait to get started on next week's White-out Cake! (Although, given our dislike of meringue, I may make a different frosting. I'm thinking whipped cream flavored with coffee and Kahlua, stabilized with white chocolate and gelatin. It'll be a brown-out cake instead!)

Meanwhile, please check out all the other TWD blogs for some fabulous Floating Islands.

3 comments:

natalia said...

Well...if you get crazy one day try them : they aren't usual meringues because they are soft and not too sweet !! The cheese cake is wonderful !!

Steph said...

I''m not crazy about the meringes either.. but I couldn't make the floating islands even if I wanted to because I had no time! Btw, if you're worrried about the sweetness of Dorie's frosting, I tried that recipe and it's definitely not as sweet as the usual 7 minute frostings. Even my mom liked it and she can be really sensitive to anything too sweet. But that whipped cream sounds absolutely delicious and is probably better than any meringe style frosting!

I was actually thinking of making a coffee flavoured meringue frosting and make a brown out cake instaed too!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

The islands were not very sweet actually, and not like other meringues. The creme anglaise is quite nice; I ended up blending my curdled creme and it was perfect - we enjoyed it with berries.
Nancy